July 25 Meeting – OB Pier – Past, Present and Future
- Kathy Blavatt, Kohta Zaiser and Geoff Page will guide us through the past, present, and possible future of the OB Pier
- Carolyn Chase will talk about the Parks Master Plan
- Plans for the August BBQ and meetings in the Fall
We’ll kick off the meeting with a short introduction to the new Parks Master Plan that is scheduled to come before the City Council for a vote on Aug 8. The Parks and Recreation Coalition (PARC) have voiced various concerns with the plan, as have our local community planning groups. Carolyn Chase, co-chair PARC will provide more details, and how we can get involved.
For our main program we have a great panel of speakers to take us through the history of the OB Pier:
- Kathy Blavatt, who spoke to us last October on the history of the 30ft height limit, will give us an overview – touching ont the earlier pier on Del Monte, the trolley, fishing, the fundraising to extend the left part of the T, and the surf championship in 1966.
- We’re pleased to welcome Kohta Zaiser, from the Mayor’s office, to update us on the findings of recent structural engineering reports and plans for the pier.
- OB Rag columnist Geoff Page, will round out the presentations on the pier, and possible future plans.
We’ll then have time for Questions and Answers with the panelists.
Carolyn is Co-chair Parks and Recreation Coalition (PARC) is a founder of San Diego EarthWorks, the nonprofit organizers of the EarthFair in Balboa Park. She lives in Pacific Beach.
PARC comments on the PMP.
Kathy is an award-winning author, historian and photographer who lives in Ocean Beach. She grew up on Sunset Cliffs Boulevard, and she’s been on the Ocean Beach Historical Society board since 2006.
Kohta is the Deputy Director of Community Engagement, Office of the Mayor.
Geoff has contributed several articles on the state of the pier to the OB Rag, who broke the story that engineering reports commissioned by the city in 2004, 2016 and 2019 highlighted the state of the pier and recommended keeping “large concentrations of pedestrians” away from certain areas of the pier.
The Moaffat & Nichol draft evaluation report 2019.
- 3:30pm Hors d’oeurves Pre-meeting social
- 4:00pm Appetizer Parks Master Plan, Carolyn Chase
- 4:15pm Entrée OB Pier, Kathy Blavatt, Kohta Zaiser, Geoff Page
- 5:15pm Dessert Officer reports, details of August BBQ and Fall meetings
- 5:20pm Cheese Electeds, representatives, candidates, announcements
- 5:30pm Nuts Post-meeting social
- Co-chairs Community Micro Grants Program, Kip Eischen & Susan Peinado
- Secretary, Kip Eischen
- Treasurer, Angela Hawkins
- VP, Diane Mosely
- President, John Loughlin
Electeds, representatives, candidates
Sunday July 25, 4:00PM – Zoom registration
Click here to register for the Zoom meeting
If you’re new to Zoom don’t worry, you can join early at 3:30PM and during this Social Time we’ll help you get into the meeting. We’ll bring everyone up to speed on some of the features of the Zoom application.
Bring your own refreshments (!) and positive news to share.
If you have a problem registering, or joining on the day of the meeting, you can call us on (619) 800-5098, or email email@example.com with your contact details.