Merrin Muxlow, VP called the meeting to order at 4:15 PM.
The floor was opened to elected officials, representatives of elected officials, former elected officials, candidates, and speakers on propositions for two-minute speeches.
- Doug Case – Political Affairs Director for State Senator, President Pro Tem Toni Atkins spoke about the legislation the senator had introduced in the current session
- Jordan Beane – our endorsed candidate for San Diego City Council District 2, gave an update on his campaign and brought yard signs for distribution
- Ruth Rollins – Spoke for Dr. Jen Campbell, candidate for San Diego City Council District 2, and invited everyone to a Meet and Greet to be held at her home next Sunday
San Diego City Council District 6
Endorsement Committee Chair Dev Zaveri-Tabb presided. The following candidates were up for Club endorsement:
- Tommy Hough – In attendance
- Fayaz Nawabi – Could not attend for health reasons, Oren Robinson spoke on his behalf
- Matt Valenti – Did not attend, though was expected to
After Tommy and Oren made opening statements, Dev conducted a Q & A using questions submitted by Club members. After closing statements were made, the candidate, paid and volunteer campaign staff, and family members were asked to leave the room and the floor was opened for discussion. Voting took place by ballot and Tommy Hough won the Club’s endorsement on the first round.
Dev said it was the first time the Club would be voting on an endorsement in a judicial race.
- Matt Brower – In attendance
- Tim Nader – Did not attend; no representative came forward to speak
After Brower gave an opening statement, Dev conducted a Q & A using questions submitted by Club members. The candidate, paid and volunteer campaign staff, and family members were asked to leave the room and the floor was opened for discussion. Ruth Rollins made a motion that the Club endorses Matt Brower by acclamation (by a voice vote of “Oorah!” in recognition of Brower being a Judge Advocate in the Marine Corps Reserve), it was seconded, and the motion carried.
- Susan Peinado said that early voting would begin May 7, the voter registration deadline was May 21, and Election Day was June 5, and stressed the importance of voter turnout since the countywide elections would most likely be decided then. She also urged everyone to sign a petition calling for future countywide races to go into November.
- Susan announced that the Club had donated $499 to the PAC “Vote June 5” in support of Dave Myers for Sheriff, Matt Strabone for County Clerk Assessor, and Geneviéve Jones- Wright for DA.
- Dev Zaveri-Tabb urged members to sign a petition calling for an initiative that “Establishes New Standards for Confinement of Certain Farm Animals; Bans Sale of Certain Non-Complying Products” to be placed on the ballot.
Vice President – Merrin expanded upon Susan’s announcement about the “Vote June 5”
PAC and urged members to go to their website, http://www.votejune5.org, and sign up to make calls. Treasurer – In Dave’s absence, Merrin reported the April 9 bank balance of and
pointed out that the Club had the money to give to local races.
Unfinished and New Business
- Susan Peinado moved that the Club donate $501.00 more to the “Vote June 5” PAC, following a brief discussion, the motion passed.
- Club member Kay O’Bryan asked that the Club consider a change to its bylaws. She suggested that instead of requiring a simple majority vote for candidate endorsements, the Club should raise it to a 60% vote in order to be more representative of the membership. A discussion followed and included these points:
- Most clubs had a higher requirement, some up to 75%
- The current 50% + 1 splits the Club and isn’t as meaningful as a higher percentage
- The bylaws were originally written in 1954 and need updating on a number of matters
- Jonathan Wubbolding recently called for the creation of a Bylaws Committee and appointed Dave Furlano chair. The committee would study the entire document and make a broad range of recommendations and present them to the body for approval
- A signup sheet was made available for any members interested in serving on the committee
- It was pointed out that members who wish to present ideas for Club consideration on any matter may do so during the New Business portion of a meeting, as Kay did
- A member voiced concern about the treatment of the Martin Luther King Jr Democratic Club at the Roosevelt Dinner and encouraged people to join that club as a show of support. A lively discussion followed in which others cited additional instances that showed the need for better conflict resolution, the need to professionalize county leadership by having full-time paid positions, and the need for term limits.
Merrin thanked everyone for coming and invited all to meet afterwards at the Point Break Café. The meeting was adjourned at 5:55 PM.
Notes: Deborah Currier, Secretary
E-Board members present:
- Merrin Muxlow, Vice President
- Deval Zaveri-Tabb, Endorsement Committee
- Deborah Currier, Secretary
- Susan Peinado, Membership Committee
- John Loughlin, Communications Committee
- Ruth Rollins, Nominating Committee
- Phil Currier, Hospitality Committee
E-Board members absent:
- Jonathan Wubbolding, President
- Dave Furlano, Treasurer
- Nancy Witt, GO Team Liaison
- Patrick Schultheis, Public Relations/Marketing Committee.