The meeting started later than usual because of a play at the Pt Loma Assembly.
Statements from candidates and elected officials (or reps) not on Agenda:
- Lori Salaña – Candidate for San Diego County Supervisor
- Doug Case – Political Affairs Director for State Senator Toni Atkins
- Matt Valenti – Candidate for SD City Council, District 6
- Dave Myers – Candidate for SD County Sheriff
- Rafael Perez – Candidate for SD Community College Board District E
- Mike McQuary – Up for reelection to SD Unified School Board, Sub-District
- Tommy Hough – Candidate for SD City Council, District 6
PROGRAM: ENDORSEMENT FORUM FOR SAN DIEGO CITY COUNCIL DISTRICT 2
Endorsement Committee Chair Dev Zaveri-Tabb presided over the forum.
After the opening statements were made, Dev conducted a 15-minute Q & A session, using her own questions and a selection submitted by Club Members. Every candidate was given one minute to respond to each question and allowed a 30-second rebuttal to any personal attacks; afterwards, they gave 3-minute closing statements.
The club passed a motion to endorse in the race.
The Club then proceeded with the member discussion period; members were allowed to make 30-second comments and then asked to cast their ballots. After the votes were tabulated, Dev announced that Jordan Beane won the Club’s endorsement.
WESTERN SERVICE WORKERS ASSOCIATION ANNOUNCEMENTS
Brandon McDonald, Operations Manager with the WSWA, spoke about the association, their needs for the New Year, and their Tamale Benefit.
TREASURER – Dave Furlano reported the end-of-year bank balance, gave an update on the Club’s income and expenses, reported on the rental fee for the Assembly Hall, and reminded members that it was time to renew memberships.
- Merrin Muxlow spoke about the Women of Color ROAR Breakfast, presented by Indivisible WATU and the attendance of young women from High Tech High and Point Loma High; she then asked for member contributions
- Michelle Krug said she had petitions-in-lieu available to be signed for Dave Myers and for the County to push future county candidate elections to November
- Dev Zaveri-Tabb announced that the San Diego Climate Mobilization Coalition would hold a rally at City Hall on January 27.
- Susan Peinado urged people to support the Point Loma Assembly Hall by attending the play “Building the Wall”, currently being staged, and its Bean Bandit event on February 8
- Dave Myers spoke about the San Diego County Democratic Party’s countywide Walk for Progress to be held on January 27.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:34 PM.
Notes: Deborah Currier, Secretary
Photos: John Loughlin