For seven years the GOP has vowed to repeal Obamacare. We recently learned what they intend to replace it with.
- Trumpcare will reduce the number of people covered by 24million over the next 10 years
- Millions of Americans will be worse off – tax credits will be replaced by smaller subsidies
- For Californians – Federal support for MediCal will be gutted
- The proposed $600 billion repeal of taxes will benefit the wealthiest citizens and harm the poorest – families with incomes between $24,600 and $98,400 per year
Steven Rattner, a long-time Wall Street financier, examines more of the details of the proposed legislation in this article for the New York Times: Trumpcare: Fiction and Fact.
Now Is the Time: Healthcare for Everybody
As Doug Case informed us at our February meeting, Senators Lara and Atkins have proposed a Senate Bill SB562 to “make findings and declarations with regard to the availability and affordability of health care coverage and would state the intent of the Legislature to enact legislation that would establish a comprehensive universal single-payer health care coverage program and a health care cost control system for the benefit of all residents of the state”.
At this month’s meeting Claire Pratt, Chair San Diego area committee for Healthy CA Single Payer, will guide us through the most recent discussions about health care and will screen the condensed (35 minute) version of the documentary NOW IS THE TIME: Healthcare for Everybody
We’ll also be considering endorsements for:
- AB 14 – The Disclose Act, that’d require political ads to clearly show their top funders
- AB 187 – The Disclosure Act, to increase transparency in local elections
Members are encouraged to get together from 3:30PM before the meeting starts, please bring whatever light drinks/snacks that you’d like to share.