Club President Susan Peinado called the meeting to order five minutes earlier than usual at 3:55 PM. She welcomed and introduced guests, including Howard Singer, Jess Durfee, and Brian White with CBS News 8. Susan then introduced the following elected officials and candidates and welcomed each to give 2 minutes of remarks:
- Assemblymember Lorena Gonzalez
- Candidate District 1, San Diego City Council: Barbara Bry
- Candidate District 7, San Diego City Council: Justin DeCesare
- Candidate San Diego City Attorney: Gil Cabrera
- Candidate San Diego City Attorney: Rafael Castellanos
- Candidate for Congress (Vs. Congressman Darrel Issa): Douglas Applegate
- Candidate San Diego Mayor: Gretchen Newsom
The agenda for the meeting was approved unanimously.
Congressmember Scott Peters
Congressmember Scott Peters provided an overview of recent congressional news, including the race for Speaker, gun regulations, climate change, renewable energy, and innovations in the military. He also reviewed the controversial agreement – the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP).
Congressmember Peters was asked by club members to support the Quiet Skies Caucus and the Social Security Act of 2015.
Program: The Spirit of Service: America’s Veterans and the Obligation We All Share
Nathan Fletcher was the featured speaker at our October meeting discussing veterans affairs and the work of his foundation, the Three Wise Men.
The Three Wise Men Foundation exists to raise awareness of the problems our veterans face and raise funds that provide needed transition programs to ensure our veterans have the services they need to succeed when their military service ends.
Nathan advocated the following:
- Support our returning veterans (if there is money to go to war, there should be money to take care of them when they come back home)
- Understand where veterans come from (there has been a10 fold decrease in the number of veterans)
- Hire veterans; don’t have to teach teamwork or commitment; veteran unemployment is hirer than non-veteran unemployment
- Elect veterans; veterans get it done. Congress used to be 70% veterans and now 80% are non veterans;
- Educate veterans
- Treasurer Barbara Houlton reported the club’s bank balance. She sought club approval for annual expenditures including rental fees of the Point Loma Assembly, annual insurance (plus a possible increase of 10%), and OB Street Fair fees. The motion passed unanimously.
- Vice President Mike Johnson requested participation and volunteers for the upcoming OB Holiday Parade on December 5th at 5:05pm. He also reported that the voter registration drive at the recent Naturalization Ceremony was very successful.
- Bylaw Committee: Jonathan Wubbolding, Chair of the Bylaws Committee, informed the members that we don’t have a strong definition of club membership. He distributed draft by-law amendments. Voting rights were included – where a new member must attend a meeting in order to be eligible to vote. A motion to accept the report was passed unanimously.
- Endorsement Committee: Dev Zaveri-Tabb and Jose Castillo requested an early incumbent endorsement of Congressman Scott Peters. After discussion the motion for the early endorsement of Congressman Scott Peters passed.
- President’s Report – Susan sought ratification of the Pre-Endorsement Caucus Slate: John Loughlin and Jonathan Wubbolding; Nicole Larson and Dev Zaveri-Tabb. There was general consensus on the slate.
- Discussion ensued of the California State Senate 39th District Race (Marty Block versus Toni Atkins).
Upcoming Events and Announcements
Peninsula Community Planning Board
Thursday, November 19, 6:30pm
Point Loma Library
New Citizen Voter Registration
Wednesday, November 18th, 10:15-12:15pm
3rd Avenue & B Street Plaza near Civic Theater
Ocean Beach Historical Society – the Sisters of OB
Thursday, November 19th, 6:00-8:30pm
Change of venue – St. Peter’s by the Sea Lutheran Church
Celebrates the “Centennial of Historic SUNSET CLIFFS!”
Sunset Cliffs Natural Park Chair, Ann Swanson, and members.
OB Town Council
Wednesday, Nov 25, 7:00pm
The Masonic Center, 1711 Sunset Cliffs Blvd
NEXT CLUB MEETING
Next Club meeting is on the topic of Blue Technologies in San Diego with Port Commissioner Rafael Castellanos on November 22nd at 4:00pm.
Ms. Peinado adjourned the meeting at 5:57pm.
Minutes taken by: Gretchen Newsom, Secretary