The meeting got underway at 4:02pm when President Susan Peinado welcomed and introduced new club members: Mable and Tim Liebert, Andrew Waltz, Hannah Bingham, Wendy Sammons, Thena Taylor, and Steve Rivera.
Guest Speakers: Candidates
Susan welcomed and introduced the following candidates and persons, each of whom provided an overview on their candidacy and/or background and/or initiative:
- Michelle Hagan, Candidate for Superior Court Judge
- ￼￼￼Brian Elliot for Re-election of Congressman Scott Peters campaign
- Dr. Jen Campbell for Susan Guinn for County Assessor and Clerk
- Bob Brewer, Candidate for District Attorney
- Honorable Michael J. Popkins, Superior Court Judge, Office No. 19
- Congressman Scott Peters, Congressional District 52
- Bryon L. Garner – Vets issues and Supporting Proposition 41
- Dianne Lane – Pro Point Loma/Save Our Neighborhood (opposing the corporatization of Point Loma High School and additional lights surrounding the PLHS football field/stadium)
- ￼Marilee McLean – Grassroots Organizing Team. Ms. McLean encouraged PLDC members to sign up to canvass with the GO Team
Vice President, Events Committee Report – Mike Johnson
Mike reminded members that the club will have a booth at the OB Street Fair on June 28th and he requested more volunteers to sign up and help run the booth. The Club will focus on voter registration at the Fair.
Treasurer’s Report – Barbara Houlton
Barbara reported the club balance and that we now have 124 current members.
President’s Report – Susan Peinado
Susan reported that John Loughlin’s mother passed away and encouraged members to sign the club’s sympathy card.
She reminded the club of the remaining meeting dates for the rest of the year (you can also subscribe to the online calendar)
- June 28 (OB Street Fair)
- July 27 Monthly Meeting at the Assembly
- August 24 (BBQ) Celebrating our 60th Anniversary
- September 28 Monthly Meeting at the Assembly
- October 26 Monthly Meeting at the Assembly
- November 23 Monthly Meeting at the Assembly
- December 6 (OB Holiday Parade)
- December 7 (Holiday Party)
Susan encouraged club members to attend the May 19th 6pm City Budget Meeting regarding community budgeting, and to volunteer at the Naturalization Ceremony Voter Registration Event on May 21st.
Susan reported that the Point Loma Association is holding a Town Hall Meeting on May 21st at 5pm at the Portuguese Hall on Avenida de Portugal just east of Scott Street (see below).
Upcoming Events and Announcements
Special City Council evening meeting (6pm) on May 19th, citizen involvement in the budget is the only item on the agenda. This is a special meeting so we want to make sure we have a great turnout. Bring friends, if you can.
Naturalization Ceremony Voter Registration – Downtown Wednesday, May 21, 10:15am-12:15pm, 3rd Ave& B Street, Plaza near Civic Theatre. Contact Greg Bolian <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Point Loma Association Town Hall Meeting May 21. Come for dinner at 5 pm from food truck! Program starts at 6:00: CAPT Adams from Naval Base Point Loma with an update on the relocation of the bayfront fuel pipeline, updates from the Port District and Airport. At the Portuguese Hall on Avenida de Portugal just east of Scott Street.
Meet the Mayor, Mayor Kevin Faulconer, District 2, 5pm, Tuesday, tentatively rescheduled for June 24, Ocean Beach Rec Center, 4726 Santa Monica Ave. San Diego, CA 92107
Ocean Beach Town Council Wednesday, May 28, 2014 – 7:00-9:00PM, The Masonic Center, 1711 Sunset Cliffs Blvd. San Diego, CA 92107
Free Reception for Speaker Toni Atkins – Saturday, May 24th at Bamboo Lounge, 1475 University Avenue from 6-8pm.
There is no club meeting at the Point Loma Assembly in June, instead we encourage all members to attend the OB Street Fair and Chili Cook-Off on June 28. Enjoy the music, food and visit the Point Loma Democratic Club booth to chat with elected officials and candidates. (See photos from last year’s event with President Obama and Sarah Boot.)
Susan Peinado encouraged club members to attend the post-meeting reception at the Point Break Café and adjourned the meeting at 5:36pm.
Notes: Gretchen Kinney Newsom, Secretary
Photos: Patrick Schultheis, OFA Liaison