Club President Susan Peinado called the meeting to order at 4:00PM.
Welcome and Introduction of Elected Officials and Candidates
Susan welcomed and introduced Sarah Boot, candidate for District 2 City Council. Sarah thanked the club for coming out to support her campaign during her field campaign kick‐off that occurred yesterday in Pacific Beach. They had 72 volunteers and knocked on over 1,000 doors. Sarah’s next fundraising deadline is March 31st and a Point Loma/Ocean Beach Meet-and-Greet is scheduled to occur on March 16th at Ruth Rollins’ house.
Susan welcomed and introduced Dr. Michael McQuarry, candidate for San Diego Unified School District (SDUSD) ‘C’. Dr. Mike provided an overview on his background and reasons for running and asked for people to sign his nomination petition.
Susan welcomed and introduced Dallin Young from the CA Democratic Party working on behalf of the Re‐Elect Scott Peters to Congress campaign. Mr. Young requested volunteer support for Congressman Peters’ campaign. You can contact Dallin at firstname.lastname@example.org
Susan welcomed and introduced Bruce Coons, candidate seeking appointment to the interim District 2 San Diego City Council seat. Mr. Coons provided an overview of his background.
Susan welcomed and introduced Gretchen Kinney Newsom, candidate seeking appointment to the interim District 2 San Diego City Council seat. Ms. Newsom provided an overview of her background.
Susan welcomed and thanked new club members: Drew Wilson (member of the OB Planning Board) and music band Liquid Blue.
Martha Sullivan made a presentation titled “San Onofre, What Happens Next.” Her presentation and additional materials on how to get involved in efforts to shut down the San Onofre nuclear plant can be accessed here.
Ruth Rollins reported that the club’s healthy balance. She also noted that 81 members have their dues effective today and that she and others are actively working on securing additional renewals.
Ruth informed members that last year we had three full tables at the Roosevelt Dinner and this year, we’ll have 4 tables!
She noted that we’ve been nominated for Club of the Year by three different entities.
Mike Johnson reported that we’ll have a booth at the OB Street Fair on Saturday June 28th. He requested volunteers to provide assistance. If we break the day into four 2-hour sections then 8 volunteers would be great. Enter your details here if you’re interested in signing up, or call Mike (619) 991-0105
Grassroots Organizing (GO) Team Liaison
Nancy Witt reported that the vote gap in the mayoral election was not that bad once the provisional ballots were counted – the 9% margin declined to a 4% margin. She also noted that today marks 100 days from the June Primary.
Nancy reported that long term PLDC member Bob McWilliams passed away.
Susan read a hand‐written thank‐you letter from David Alvarez thanking everyone in the club for all their efforts of support.
Election of Officers
This month’s meeting included elections of officers. Ruth Rollins is the chair of the nominating committee and provided an overview of the nominees:
Susan Peinado, President
Mike Johnson, VP
Gretchen Newsom, Secretary Barbara Houlton, Treasurer
As well as nominations from the floor
Ms. Rollins called for additional nominations from the floor for each position. No additional nominations were made. All of the officers were elected unanimously.
Upcoming Events and Announcements
The following events and announcements were made:
- City Council approval of the OB Community Plan has been delayed until April or later.
- ￼￼￼Bruce Coons informed the audience about Assembly Bill 1999 (Atkins) – legislation pertaining to California economic development and historical preservation tax credits that will also apply to residences.
- Inequality for All Movie Watch Party | Friday, February 28, 7pm | 1314 Trieste Drive
- Gretchen Newsom informed the audience about the next OB Town Council Public
- Point Loma Assembly Comedy Night | Friday, February 28th, 7pm | Point Loma Assembly (fundraiser)
- OB Kite Festival | Saturday, May 10, 10:00am‐4:00pm
- Kevin Beiser Fundraiser | Sunday, March 2nd, 1:00‐3:00pm | Agnes Barrelet residence, Rancho Santa Fe
- Meet and Greet with Sarah Boot | Sunday, March 16th 10:00‐1:00pm | Rollins Residence, 1268 Savoy Street
- Roosevelt Dinner | Saturday, April 5, 6:0opm | Hilton San Diego Bayfront
- Next club Meeting: Mar 23rd | 4pm
- Mr. Coons informed the audience that the Peninsula Community Planning Board has 6 openings. He provided background information on candidacy qualifications.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:31 pm.
Notes: Gretchen Kinney Newsom, Secretary
Photos: Patrick Schultheis, OFA Liaison