If you only watch one television interview this year, make it this interview with Sherman Alexie. You will learn about ethnic cleansing, the evil of Lincoln, deeply hidden American secrets and much more all shared with a humor and sensibility that few command.
Born on a Native American reservation, Sherman Alexie has been navigating the cultural boundaries of American culture in lauded poetry, novels, short stories, screenplays, even stand-up comedy for over two decades. Alexie joins Bill to share his irreverent perspective on contemporary American life, and discuss the challenges of living in two different cultures at the same time, especially when one has so much dominance over the other.
“I know a lot more about being white than you know about being Indian,” Alexie tells Bill.
When not writing, Sherman is known for his commanding stage presence. He performs standup comedy, and held the title of World Heavyweight Poetry Champion for four consecutive years. He currently lives in Seattle with his wife and two children.
More from the great Bill Moyers website.
- Live Chat with Sherman Alexie (billmoyers.com)
- Sherman Alexie’s Top Ten Native American Poets (billmoyers.com)
- Sherman Alexie : The search for a Positive Native American Identity (theculturetrip.wordpress.com)
- Sherman Alexie on book banning (holly-troy.com)
- Friday Flix: Smoke Signals (litandscribbles.wordpress.com)