Over the last 12 months we’ve seen some wonderful developments at the Club, and we’ve tried to capture some of them in this Overview of the Club (PDF).
We encourage you to download and share this file with your family, friends and colleagues to help spread the word about the work of the Club and all our great members.
- In November 2012 we witnessed the best election season for Democrats in San Diego in a lifetime
- We welcomed, and guarded, (a very flat) President and First Lady at the OB Parade
- Nancy Witt (former President of the Club) won Volunteer of the Year for San Diego County
- Our Voter Registration volunteers led by Gail Mackler (& Greg Bolian) turned San Diego blue, and relegated the GOP to the third party position trailing Independents
- We forged closer relationships with the other Clubs, particularly Pacific Beach & La Jolla, as part of the Coastal Coalition
- Ruth Rollins stepped down as Club President and stepped up to be the Director of the Council of Clubs an executive position on the San Diego County Democratic Party Central Committee Executive Board
- Our supported candidates were elected as delegates to the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, NC
- All of our supported candidates were elected to represent the 78th District at the State Convention, including our new President, Susan Peinado
- We had some great speakers including Anne Hoiberg, Dr. Martin Bunzl, Wanda Garner, Jack Bowsher, Dr. David Shirk & Sandy Champlin
- We had great candidates talk to the Club during the year including Bob Filner, Scott Peters & Lori Soldaña
- Our newsletter distribution has grown fourfold and the website now attracts hundreds of visitors with thousands of page views
- Facebook, Twitter and other social media have helped us better support our elected officials and counteract some of the ‘old media’ voices
- San Diego Democratic Women’s Club Student Scholarship 2013 (peninsulademocrat.wordpress.com)
- May 4 – Painting the Town Blue (peninsulademocrat.wordpress.com)